Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Teaching During CoVid-19: Day...Feels like 1,000

By now, it's actually Week 3 of school closure.  We had 1 week (actually more like 2 days) to prepare lessons.  Then, we went on "Spring Break"!  Woohooo!  Oh, wait. #coronacation. So, this week, Week 3, we are getting back to a routine that was never fully established in the first place.  The order came down yesterday for 4 more weeks of closure. <deep breath here>

<deep breath again>

After 14 years of teaching, using technology and research at the forefront of my profession, why am I so nervous about delivering content online?  I've been training other teachers how to use tech tools for 5 years, but now the stakes are different somehow.

Students don't have access.  Students don't have support at home. Students don't have materials they need for basic LIVING, let alone LEARNING.

I want to bust out my very best Pear Deck lessons, and app smash the heck out of projects for reading and writing!  I'm ready!  I've been preparing for this my whole life!

To be delivered to....15 of 85 students???

So, I'm worried.  I'm frustrated.  I'm #allthethings.  Most of all, I want the students and families to know that I am here for them.  I am in the same position: mom, homemaker, homeschool teacher, spouse, human being.  What can I do to help you?  My purpose is to help students feel successful, not to overwhelm (because I certainly am), to communicate and to challenge. 

There is no easy way out, but we're #inthistogether.  Together, we will help each other learn, grow, and hopefully, show the best sides of ourselves.  I'm ready, if you are. How can I help?

No comments:

Post a Comment